Y'day. all sweets were finished wanted to make something different for dessert but not wanted to go for traditional cakes and came across this recepi. This recepi originally adapted from mid eastern cuisine and a very famous dessert called BASBAUSA. Scented rose flavored sugar syrup and taste of coconut add magic to the recepi and make it tastes really heavenly.
This cake can be used in kid's tiffin, as tea time cake or as a dessert.
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup water
- ½ tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- ½ tablespoon rose water/orange flavoured water
- few drops of pink food colour(optional)
Scented Sugar Syrup
- 2 cups fine semolina flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1½ cups milk
- 1 cup desiccated coconut
- Almond/Pistachios/cashew for garnishing
Semolina Coconut Cake
- To make the Syrup
- Add the sugar, water and lemon juice to a medium, thick-bottomed saucepan, and bring to a boil over medium heat.
- On medium sim keep stirring occasionally boil for 3-4 mins. We need slight thick syrup but not too thick.
- switch off the gas and stir in the rose water or orange blossom water and food color if using; cool to room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 180C. Line an 11X7 baking pan with baking paper. Set aside
- Mix together the semolina, baking powder, and sugar in a large bowl. Mix in the melted butter and then the milk until combined, and then fold in the coconut.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared pan and spread it out evenly; let it sit for 10 minutes.
- cut the square or diamond shapes with a sharp knife, place 1 almond or pistacheo in the centre of each diamond.
- Bake until the sides and top are golden brown, about 30 minutes.
- Once out of the oven, cut the cake along the lines you already marked. Slowly pour the sugar syrup on the hot cake.
- Let the cake sit at room temperature 2 hours to absorb the syrup before serving.
- We need sugar syrup at room tempreture so make it before you start making the cake.
- Use fine semolina for better results.
- Cake texture is even better next day so try to prepare one day before serving but 2 hours time is necessary.
- Use of food colors and flavors are totally optional. Can be make plain.